Welly Care Guide
After a long country walk, nothing feels better than kicking off your boots and putting your feet up in front of the fire, but before you do, give your wellies a little TLC.
Spending a bit of time now, will only prolong the life of your wellies and save you the messy task of knocking off that stubborn last-walk mud next time.
Wellies are our trademark and something we have been selling for more than 30 years, so we know our stuff. Follow our welly care guide and handy tips to keep yours looking as good as the time you took them out of the box! So, if you’re wondering how to clean the inside of wellies or just how to clean wellies in general, you’re in the right place.
A Little Welly Wisdom
How To Clean Your Wellies
- Grab yourself a cloth (we recommend a fast-drying microfibre one) and a bowl of soapy water. Soak the cloth in water and wipe over your wellies – you might need to give it some elbow grease depending on how muddy it’s been out there!
- If you think it’s time to give the inside of your wellies a little bit of attention too, then remove the insoles and wash them separately.
- Don’t be hasty – leave them to dry naturally. However, if the kettle is on and you want to speed up the process, then stuff them with some newspaper and leave them to soak up the water. While it might be tempting to leave them on a radiator, we would advise against it.
- When you return to them, you might find a white powdery residue. This is nothing to worry about, it’s called ‘blooming’ and is just the natural oils in the rubber coming to the surface. You can wipe that away with a damp cloth or using our Welly Buffer.
How To Store Your Wellies
- Just like your root veg, your wellies like their home to be cool and dry. If you’re lacking the space, then store them away in one of our welly bags in the back of your car, the shed or even your bedroom cupboard.
- If your wellies are zipped, avoid storing them with the zip open or clogged with mud (go back a step to ‘cleaning’ if you need tips on getting rid of the mud).
- To stop your long wellies from folding over between walks, stuff them with something bulky such as scrunched up newspaper or some old tea towels.
How To Protect Your Wellies
- The ultimate protection comes from the way in which you clean and store your wellies so go back a few steps to refresh first.
- To avoid damage to the lovely appearance of your wellies, we would recommend using a boot remover. Or ask the children to give them a good tug!
- A hard walking life can take its toll of the look of your wellies and excess mud can leave them looking less than their best. Restore their shine with our specially formulated Welly Buffer – a few sprays and a dry cloth will polish them up pristine!
The Joules Welly Care Kit
We’re all about getting outside and exploring, but when you’re back home it can feel like you have brought back more of the British countryside than you intended.
Our Welly Care Kit is essential to have stored away in your shed ready to restore your wellies back to their former glory.
We don’t need to go into the ins and outs of the magic of microfibre – we’ve all discovered it for ourselves. But, when it comes to cleaning and maintaining your wellies, our microfibre cloth works wonders. Lint-free, non-abrasive and extremely absorbent, it will get rid of all the muck in an instant, without damaging the surface of your boots.
While we can see through their muddy exterior, we’ve put so much love into making our wellies look great, that we wanted to give you something to keep them looking beautiful.
Our Welly Buffer is a special formula made to condition and restore the glossy finish to all rubber footwear. It’s also highly effective at removing that normal, but unattractive, white residue (blooming) that occurs in natural rubber.
To use, spray the boots from six inches away. Then, use our microfibre cloth, which comes as part of the kit, to buff the rubber in circular motions until any marks or grime are removed.
Sometimes it’s not just the countryside that can produce some less than lovely odours – those long walks can leave feet and wellies a little smelly.
Give the insoles of your boots a quick spray with our Welly Fresh which eliminate all odours. And it’s not just wellies that you can refresh, as this product can be used on all types of footwear.Shop the Welly Care Kit >
One Year Guarantee
Every step the best
They don’t just look the part, our wellies have been tried and tested in the Great British countryside, and we pride ourselves on their quality (and ability to handle shin deep mud!).
But until you have walked a mile in our… wellies, we understand that you might not be quite as confident. So, to show you how much we believe in our boots, each pair is covered by our ‘one-year welly guarantee’.T&C's Apply. Shop Wellies >